There are many ways you can improve your vision. Some people opt for glasses or contact lens, while others seek a more permanent solution through eye surgery. The most common of all eye surgeries is LASIK; which is used to correct myopia, astigmatism, and hyperopia in patients. LASIK, which stands for Laser-Assisted-In-Situ Keratomileusis, is performed by cutting a flap on the outer eye to gain access to the cornea. The cornea is then reshaped with laser light pulses, many times eliminating the need for glasses. There are several variations of LASIK, including LASEK, EpiLASKIK, and Wavefront LASIK – all of which follow the same basic premise of reshaping the cornea.
The Benefits of LASIK Surgery
There are several benefits associated with undergoing a LASIK or a LASIK-related procedure. The most obvious of these is that LASIK is proven to work and will correct vision in most cases. But there are many others:
- There is very little pain associated with the procedure and the procedure is done on an out-patient basis.
- A majority of patients no longer need eye glasses following surgery. Some may only require glasses for certain situations, such as night driving.
- Vision is corrected and patients see better almost immediately, or within one day after having the procedure done.
- Additional surgeries can take place at any time following an initial LASIK procedure to further correct a patient’s vision.
- The recovery period is short and generally no bandages or stitches are required after surgery.
- Complications are rare, but they do happen. It is estimated that less than 5% of patients experience some unintended issues after surgery. Some of these side effects may include glare, seeing halos around images, fluctuating vision, dry eyes or difficulty in driving at night.
Boulder Eyes serves patients in Denver, Fort Collins, Boulder and other nearby Colorado communities.